About the Charities Supported by Miles for Meso Races
Since 2009, Miles for Meso has raised nearly $400,000 for mesothelioma research. Proceeds from the races have gone to the following mesothelioma and asbestos charities.
The Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation
The Meso Foundation is the national organization dedicated to eradicating mesothelioma as a life-ending disease by:
- funding the highest quality and most promising research projects from around the world through our rigorous peer-reviewed process;
- helping patients connect with national mesothelioma experts and obtain the most up-to-date information on treatment options;
- and advocating in Washington D.C. for federal mesothelioma research funding to stop this national tragedy.
The work of the Foundation is funded by mesothelioma patients and their families who have invested generously in the search for a cure, as well as law firms, drug companies, and companies formerly involved with asbestos, all of whom have joined in the common mission of curing the disease.
The Meso Foundation has a four-start charity rating by Charity Navigation.
Meso Foundation Mission Statement
"The Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation is the nonprofit collaboration of patients and families, physicians, advocates, and researchers dedicated to eradicating the life-ending and vicious effects of mesothelioma. We believe in a cure for meso. Given the human toll of suffering the disease causes, the compassion and energy of the meso community, the moral, legal and economic aspects of asbestos, and the benefits of meso research to cancer research generally, we believe that the resources to accomplish this cure are available and must be mobilized."
Learn more about the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation.
The Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization
The Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO) is the largest independent asbestos victims’ organization in the U.S. It was founded in 2004 to give asbestos victims and concerned citizens a united voice, to raise public awareness about the dangers of asbestos exposure and to work towards a global asbestos ban. ADAO is dedicated to preventing asbestos-caused diseases through national and international education, advocacy, and community initiatives. Read more about ADAO and “Who We Are”.
- Education. Educate the public and medical community about asbestos-related diseases and preventing asbestos exposure. Support research that leads to early detection, prevention and a cure.
- Advocacy. Collaborate with organizations around the world for a global asbestos ban. Raise awareness that asbestos is still legal and lethal in the U.S. Protect asbestos victims’ civil rights.
- Community. Unite asbestos victims to Share Their Stories, learn about treatment options, and support each other.